The Boise Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is the Treasure Valley's premier performing youth symphonic group. The group is open to woodwind, brass, percussion, and string 9th-12th grade students by audition. The BPYO provides professional ensemble training and opportunities through rehearsals with conductor Grant Harville and coachings from principal players of the Boise Philharmonic.The orchestra performs three concerts per year, with programs selected to broaden these young musicians’ fluency with the enduring masterworks of the standard orchestral repertoire.
The purpose of the Boise Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is:
1. To provide talented, accomplished young musicians from throughout the Treasure Valley with outstanding musical training and experience through full orchestra rehearsals and performances.
2. To enhance and develop current and future arts participation by our youth.
3. To enhance the cultural life of the Treasure Valley by providing excellent performances of the orchestral music.
2016-2017 CONCERT CALENDAR:
FALL CONCERT: November 1, 2016 - 7:00pm - Morrison Center
WINTER CONCERT: February 6, 2017 - 7:00pm - Brandt Center at NNU
SPRING CONCERT: May 1, 2017 - 7:00pm - Morrison Center
Concert tickets available in advance; $8 per person / $35 for family of 5 or more.
Tickets at the door available: $10 per person/ $40 for family of 5 or more
Recordings available at buytheaudio.com/BuyTheAudio/BPYO.html
2017-2018 CONCERT CALENDAR: TBD
***AUDITIONS FOR 2017-2018 SEASON!!***
Auditions for BPYO's 2017-2018 season will take place on MAY 11, MAY 12, MAY 13, and MAY 14. You will be notified of your time by May 1.
TO RESERVE AN AUDITION:
1. Please download the Audition Packet 2017-2018 to answer any questions you may have.
2. Fill out your 2nd chance audition application form (Will only be accepted if you have previously contacted me by email.)
3. Bring in or mail your $25 audition application fee with your name attached to the Boise Philharmonic Office: (this is either refunded to you, or put towards your tuition depending on your audition results)
c/o Youth orchestra auditions
516 S. 9th St
Boise, ID 83702
4. Prepare your audition
Audition Requirements (non-percussion)
1. 2-5 minutes of a solo of applicant's choice--this is not a strict time requirement, just find a good stopping point.
2. Major scales up to 4 sharps and 4 flats
3. Excerpts from La Forza del Destino (linked below)
4. Sight reading
Audition Requirements (percussion)
1. 2-5 minutes from a mallet solo (xylophone or marimba)
2 Excerpts (linked below)
3. Sight-reading on tambourine
*Percussionists will need to provide appropriate sticks and mallets for timpani, snare, and solo piece*
Excerpts by instrument:
Flute 2017-2018 (G to N)
Clarinet 2017-2018 (G to N) (Can be played on B-flat if the applicant doesn't have access to an A)
Oboe 2017-2018 (C to D) AND (I to N)
Bassoon 2017-2018 (I to J) AND (N to <8 after P>)
Horn 2017-2018 (O to the end) **PARTS ARE IN E**
Trumpet 2017-2018 (J to L) AND (O to the end) **PARTS ARE IN E**
Trombone 2017-2018 (C to F) And (O to the end)
Bass Trombone 2017-2018 (C to F) AND (O to the end)
Tuba 2017-2018 (C to F) AND (I to L)
Percussion 2017-2018 (Snare: Lt. Kije, excerpt B) AND (Timpani <piu animato> to the end)
Harp 2017-2018 (G to H) AND (N to O) **the whole part**
Violin 2017-2018 (C to F)
Viola 2017-2018 (H to L)
Cello 2017-2018 (H to M)
Bass 2017-2018 (H to J)
NEW PROGRAM FOR 2016-2017 Season Calling all college and high school-level composers
New composer-in-residence program. Call for scores. Please download the following information:
Director of Education & Community Engagement