The Boise Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is the Treasure Valley's premier performing youth symphonic group. The group is open to woodwind, brass, percussion, and string 9th-12th grade students by audition. The BPYO provides professional ensemble training and opportunities through rehearsals and coachings from principal players of the Boise Philharmonic.The orchestra performs three concerts per year, with programs selected to broaden young musicians’ fluency with the enduring masterworks of the standard orchestral repertoire.
The purpose of the Boise Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is:
1. To provide talented, accomplished young musicians from throughout the Treasure Valley with outstanding musical training and experience through full orchestra rehearsals and performances.
2. To enhance and develop current and future arts participation by our youth.
3. To enhance the cultural life of the Treasure Valley by providing excellent performances of the orchestral music.
2017-2018 CONCERT CALENDAR:
FALL CONCERT: November 13, 2017- 7:00 pm - Morrison Center
WINTER CONCERT: TBD
SPRING CONCERT: April 30, 2018- 7:00 pm - Morrison Center
Concert tickets available in advance; $8 per person / $35 for family of 5 or more.
Tickets at the door available: $10 per person/ $40 for family of 5 or more
Recordings available at buytheaudio.com/BuyTheAudio/BPYO.html
AUDITIONS FOR 2017-2018 SEASON HAVE CLOSED for all positions except tuba and percussion
TO RESERVE AN AUDITION:
1. Please download the Audition Packet 2017-2018 to answer any questions you may have.
2. Fill out your Tuba or Percussion Audition Application (Will only be accepted if you have previously contacted me by email.)
3. Bring in or mail your $25 audition application fee with your name attached to the Boise Philharmonic Office: (this is either refunded to you, or put towards your tuition depending on your audition results)
c/o Youth orchestra auditions
516 S. 9th St
Boise, ID 83702
4. Prepare your audition
Audition Requirements (non-percussion)
1. 2-5 minutes of a solo of applicant's choice--this is not a strict time requirement, just find a good stopping point.
2. Major scales up to 4 sharps and 4 flats
3. Excerpts from La Forza del Destino (linked below)
4. Sight reading
Audition Requirements (percussion)
1. 2-5 minutes from a mallet solo (xylophone or marimba)
2 Excerpts (linked below)
3. Sight-reading on tambourine
*Percussionists will need to provide appropriate sticks and mallets for timpani, snare, and solo piece*
Excerpts by instrument:
Tuba 2017-2018 (C to F) AND (I to L)
Percussion 2017-2018 (Snare: Lt. Kije, excerpt B) AND (Timpani <piu animato> to the end)
NEW PROGRAM FOR 2016-2017 Season Calling all college and high school-level composers
New composer-in-residence program. Call for scores. Please download the following information:
Director of Education & Community Engagement