Please contact our personnel manager with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
All auditions are held at the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy, 516 S 9th Street in downtown Boise, ID.
Master Chorale Auditions
Auditions will take place on August 2, 2021 at the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy between 6pm and 8pm. Please read the audition information below.
The Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale will be holding auditions for new members for the 2021-2022 season on August 2, 2021 from 6:00-8:00pm. These auditions are open to anyone over the age of 18 and will take place in the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Annex. Each auditionee must register for a ten (10) minute audition time by completing the audition application form prior to July 31st. Below is a description and explanation of the audition process for each individual.
Important Note: Current members of the Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale are not required to audition at this time.
- Each singer will complete an audition sign-up form (available ahead of time, as well as upon arrival) to provide a bit of background information. We will begin our audition time with a short greeting and snippet of “getting to know you.”
- Each auditionee will perform a song/aria of their choosing. There is no expectation of the genre or style, simply some music that demonstrates your voice well. If you do not have a song/aria you can prepare, we are also happy to hear a folk tune or patriotic song such as Amazing Grace or My Country ‘tis of Thee. Note: An accompanist will be provided. Please have a printed copy of your music ready when you arrive at your audition time, no need to send it ahead of time.
- Explanation: We do not expect anyone to be a professional solo artist (though certainly welcome!); however, we do want to ensure each singer is capable of taking independent ownership of their part.
- Each auditionee will complete an aural-recall audition. In this portion, a short series of note patterns (4-5 notes) will be played on the piano. After each example, we will ask the auditionee to sing the pattern back on a neutral syllable.
- Explanation: Many singers can achieve the most challenging of melodic passages through aural recall. The goal of this exercise is to measure how quickly you will retain various melodic patterns during a rehearsal.
- Finally, there will be a short sight-singing example. It will consist of scale-wise steps, some skips and possibly a few leaps. It will begin simply and progressively become more challenging with each measure. Each auditionee will perform this on the neutral syllable of their choice or solfege.
- Explanation: The goal of this portion is to see how far you can go in the sight-reading example, not a pass/fail on completing the entire exercise. This will help us understand how quickly you can pick up a new piece.
Each step of this audition process is intended for you to demonstrate your abilities in multiple areas. We do not expect every singer to be of highest proficiency in all three areas, but we do hope to see how you will best fit within the growing ensemble. Thank you for considering this opportunity, and we hope to hear sing you soon!
Want to schedule an audition? CLICK HERE A ten minute time slot will be assigned to you after receipt of the audition form.
Questions? Call or email Dan Howard, General Manager, at 208 344.4794 or email@example.com.
The Chorale meets at the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy each Monday from 7:00 until 9:00 pm. The rehearsals begin August 9th and continue through May. Learn more about the Master Chorale here.
To see job openings in our support staff, visit our Jobs page.